Trichoderma for Cannabis
If you’re a cannabis grower, you probably know how important it is to keep your plants healthy. But did you know that there’s a natural way to boost your plant’s growth without using any chemicals or pesticides? It’s called Trichoderma, and it’s one of the most beneficial fungi for cannabis cultivation. In this blog post, we’ll explain what Trichoderma is, how it works, and how to use it to grow healthier and bigger cannabis plants.
What is Trichoderma?
Trichoderma is a genus of soil fungi that can be found in almost all types of soils across a wide variety of ecosystems. Trichoderma feed off an assortment of other fungi, and flourish in soils with a high density of plant roots, which they can (and love to) colonize.
Trichoderma has been used in agriculture and gardening for decades, as it is known to attack and feed on other fungi and bacteria, proving itself effective in the control of a variety of different pathogens. Trichoderma products are used in the following ways:
– To treat seeds prior to planting
– As a soil amendment before planting
– As a growth stimulant and biocontrol agent administered during growth
Trichoderma is also widely used in cannabis cultivation, as it offers many benefits for the plants, such as:
– Better root development
– Enhanced nutrient uptake
– Increased yield and quality
How does Trichoderma help cannabis plants?
Trichoderma helps cannabis plants in several ways, depending on how and when you apply it. Here are some of the main benefits of using Trichoderma for cannabis:
Better root development
Trichoderma loves to colonize plant roots, and thrives in the rhizosphere, where they feed off bacteria and other fungi. Trichoderma can be applied directly to your seeds, to potting soil, or around the root zone of growing plants; once they come into contact with the roots, they’ll colonize the root surface, or cortex.
Some strains of Trichoderma (such as T. harzianum, or T-22) are considered “highly rhizosphere competent” and can colonize plant roots as they grow. Plants grown with Trichoderma have repeatedly been shown to develop larger, healthier root systems than plants grown without the fungi.
Why is this important? Because the root system is the foundation of your plant’s health and growth. The bigger and stronger the roots, the more water and nutrients they can absorb from the soil, and the more resistant they are to stress and diseases. A healthy root system also means a healthy canopy, with more branches, leaves, flowers, and resin.
Enhanced nutrient uptake
Trichoderma not only protects your plants from diseases, but also helps them absorb nutrients more efficiently. How? By producing acidic metabolites that break down organic matter in the substrate, which makes the nutrients more readily available to the roots than without Trichoderma.
Trichoderma also increases the availability of phosphorus, one of the most important macronutrients for plant growth. Phosphorus is often bound to minerals or organic compounds in the soil, making it inaccessible to plants. Trichoderma can release phosphorus from these compounds by producing enzymes such as phosphatases.
Moreover, Trichoderma can form symbiotic relationships with other beneficial microorganisms, such as mycorrhizal fungi and nitrogen-fixing bacteria. These microorganisms can enhance the plant’s ability to access and use nitrogen and other nutrients from the soil.
By using Trichoderma for cannabis cultivation, you can improve your plant’s nutrition and growth, as well as reduce the need for synthetic fertilizers.
Increased yield and quality
All the benefits of Trichoderma mentioned above translate into increased yield and quality of your cannabis plants. By having healthier roots, stronger immunity, and better nutrition, your plants will be able to grow faster, bigger, and more productive.
Several studies have shown that Trichoderma can increase the yield and quality of various crops, such as tomatoes, peppers, strawberries, and grapes. Although there are not many studies on cannabis specifically, anecdotal evidence from growers suggests that Trichoderma can also boost the yield and quality of cannabis plants.
By using Trichoderma for cannabis cultivation, you can expect to harvest more buds with higher potency, aroma, flavor, and resin production.
How to use Trichoderma to grow healthier cannabis plants
Using Trichoderma for cannabis cultivation is easy and affordable. You can find Trichoderma products in various forms, such as powders, granules, liquids, or tablets.
Here are some tips on how to use Trichoderma to grow healthier cannabis plants:
– Apply Trichoderma to your seeds before planting them. This will help them germinate faster and develop stronger roots. You can either soak your seeds in a Trichoderma solution or coat them with a Trichoderma powder.
– Apply Trichoderma to your soil or growing medium before planting your seedlings or clones. This will help them establish a healthy root system and prevent transplant shock. You can either mix Trichoderma with your soil or growing medium or sprinkle it around the planting hole.
– Apply Trichoderma to your plants during their growth cycle. This will help them maintain their health and vigor and resist diseases and pests. You can either water your plants with a Trichoderma solution or spray it on their leaves.
– Follow the instructions on the product label or package for the dosage and frequency of application. Generally, you want to apply Trichoderma every 2-4 weeks during the vegetative stage and every 4-6 weeks during the flowering stage.
– Use Trichoderma in combination with other beneficial microorganisms, such as mycorrhizal fungi and rhizobacteria. This will create a diverse and balanced microbial community in your soil or growing medium that will support your plant’s growth and health.
– Use organic fertilizers and amendments that are compatible with Trichoderma. Avoid using chemical pesticides or fungicides that can harm or kill the fungi.
Trichoderma: a natural way to boost root health and plant growth
As you can see, Trichoderma is one of the best allies for your cannabis cultivation. By using this beneficial fungus, you can improve your plant’s root development, nutrient uptake, yield and quality.
Trichoderma is easy to use, affordable, and environmentally friendly. You can find it in many horticulture stores or online shops, or here at this website.
If you want to grow healthier and bigger cannabis plants without using any harmful chemicals or pesticides, give Trichoderma a try. You’ll be amazed by the results!
Custom Biological manufactures and distributes a Trichoderma product, Custom GP. Contact CustomBio for more information.